Bottom of speaker = 1.3m
About the VXL Selection Assistant
This app is intended to assist the selection of the most appropriate VXL speaker model for speech reproduction applications. The App will provide an indication of whether good amplified sound can be provided across the audience area by calculating the difference in SPL between the nearest and furthest audience members, based on the following three factors and the speaker output attenuation over distance.
- Speaker position
- Audience position
- SPL requirements for the audience area
Good amplified sound can be expected if the SPL range across the audience area is within 10 dB (be sure to position the audience within the area covered by the speaker and avoid positioning them in out of coverage areas.)
If “Bottom of speaker” becomes lower than the audience’s ears, set the tilt angle to 0 degrees. On the other hand, if “Bottom of speaker” becomes higher than the audience’s ears, adjust the height and tilt angle so that the speaker’s front is faced toward the farthest audience.
How to use
Specify the following parameters
Select the speaker model
Specify the angle of the speaker against the wall
Specify the height from the floor to the center of the speaker
Distance between the speaker and the nearest audience member
Distance between the speaker and the furthest audience member
SPL (RMS) required for the audience in the front row
Distance between the front and furthest rows of the audience area
Difference of SPL between the audience sitting in the front and last rows
* You can only specify a value between 55 dB to 80 dB (RMS), which is assumed to be the optimum listening level for speech.
- The distance attenuation value used by the app is based on the outcome of a simulation using direct 2KHz band pass noise
- SPL is calculation is based on RMS
- The speech crest factor is assumed to be 10 dB
- Room acoustics such as reflections or reverberant sound, may result in differences between the result calculated using this app and the real-world outcome.
- The directionality of the speaker is fixed to NORMAL
- This app does not support calculation for horizontally combined speakers